Kinderhook Reformed Church Worship Service
Route 9 & Church Street, Kinderhook, NY
10:00 A.M. APRIL 8, 2012 - EASTER SUNDAY
“To Know Christ and to Make Him Known”
Rev. Rudy Visser, Pastor
A WARM WELCOME TO VISITORS
Please sign our Guest Book at the church entrance and to fill out a pew card and place it in the offering plate.
Ushers: Alan Dick, Merrill Johnson, Leré Visagie, Paul Zietsman
Greeter(s): Alan and Noreen Dick and Family
Preschool Nursery facility is available downstairs.
Fresh-cut Flowers are given today by Deborah Drebitko and Geoffrey Gross
in loving memory of their mother, Glenda Gross.
Guest Organist: David Smith ~ Guest Soloist: Vicki Smith
Our appreciation to those whose donations provided the Easter lilies decorating our pulpit area:
in loving memory of Ed, Bill & Paul Rothermel, and Justin Lynch
Noreen and Alan Dick Mid Glass Bill and Suzanne Nieman Sue Patterson Florence Rivera
Order of Worship
PRELUDE - Pastorale in E major, Op. 19 César Franck
WELCOME, SILENT PRAYER, & PREPARATION FOR WORSHIP
VOTUM and GOD’S GREETING
Boldly Approaching Our God
CALL TO WORSHIP (Responsive)
Jesus Christ is risen today!
Christ is risen, indeed!
The tomb could not hold him.
The grave is empty. Christ is risen!
Humanity’s sin could not condemn him.
He shattered sin’s power over us. Christ is risen!
Death could not contain him.
He conquered death for all eternity. Christ is risen!
Jesus Christ is risen today!
Christ is risen, indeed!
*HYMN OF PRAISE #234 - Christ The Lord Is Risen Today
CALL TO CONFESSION
Beloved, we are God’s children because of the love God has for us, yet we sometimes fail to respond to God’s outpouring of love. Let us confess our sins together.
PRAYER OF CONFESSION (In Unison)
God, we confess that we do not have you all figured out, but we act as if we do. We do not wait with patience for your words of wisdom and direction. We raise your banner high but do our own will. Have mercy on us who love you but have not been able to lay aside our desire for power, our desire to make the rules, our desire to speak for you, and to submit to your calling on our lives. Help us, O God; remember that we are mere sinners, seeking your grace.
GOD’S ASSURANCE OF PARDON
Friends, the word of the Lord is trustworthy and sure: When we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive and cleanse us. Jesus is risen, making us free to live again! Hallelujah! Amen!
CHILDREN’S PRAYER BLESSING (Unison)
Lord Jesus, bless our children with the peace that comes from the certain knowledge that you are alive, that you are their greatest treasure, and that you are coming again. Help us as we teach them to be your faithful, watchful servants, ready to receive you and to be received into your eternal glory.
SOLO - Vicki Smith, Soprano "I know that my Redeemer liveth" from Messiah G. F. Handel
We Come Before God’s Open Word
PRAYER for ILLUMINATION
SCRIPTURE LESSON – Mark 16:1-8 (pp.722)
MESSAGE - "Easter Is for ‘Empty People’!"
PRAYER OF BLESSING
WE GIVE OUR TITHES and OFFERINGS / OFFERTORY - Ave Maris Stella III, Op. 18 Marcel Dupré
*DOXOLOGY - Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow
Praise God from whom all blessings flow; praise him, all creatures here below;
praise him above, ye heavenly host: praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Amen.
OFFERTORY PRAYER (Unison)
We bring our gifts of tithes and offerings as expressions of our love for you, O Lord. Receive them in your grace and multiply their effectiveness in causes for good around the world. Amen.
ANNOUNCEMENTS CONCERNING THE FAMILY OF GOD
PASTORAL PRAYER and THE LORD’S PRAYER
*HYMN #248 - He Lives!
*BENEDICTION BLESSING & RESPONSE – My Friends, May You Grow in Grace
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen. (2x)
POSTLUDE - Toccata in G major William Walond
PLEASE JOIN THE CRAFTS GROUP, THE “ESSENES” - Dawn Tuttle, Jane Deane, and Joy Bertram - FRIDAYS AT 9:30 AM IN THE FELLOWSHIP HALL. We are creating items for the KRC fair/bazaar which will take place November 3. The Essenes were an ancient Hebrew group known for their devotion to God, and we honor them with our crafting. Please save wine corks and plastic grocery bags for use in this project. A box is available in the room across from the church office for collecting these materials.
KRC SMALL GROUPS
KRC’s small groups, offered on Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m., will be continuing their studies led by Pastor Rudy. All are invited to join one of these groups, and walk-ins are always welcome! Jean Hacker will be leading a Stonecroft study, Why Believe?, Sundays following Worship.
During the month of April, Northeast Health/ Eddy Lifeline is offering free installation (normally $50) of a Lifeline 2-way emergency response system. If you know someone who lives alone, or has a tendency to fall, or who is recovering from recent surgery and might benefit from this protection, the Eddy number is 833-1040. Monthly cost of Lifeline after free installation is $38.
Volunteers are needed to supervise the Nursery during Sunday Worship Service, and volunteers are also needed to provide for Coffee Hour following worship. We ask that you would prayerfully consider offering your services to one or both of these ministries. Sign-up sheets are available on the back table.
Deborah Spaulding (1st), Annake Visser (6th), Beth Anne Rippel (11th), Anne-Marie Zietsman (11th), Diane Morgan (14th), Bill Nieman (16th), Arnie March (17th), Cydney Rippel (22nd), Paul Zietsman (29th).
Remember to Pray for
• those who do not know Christ, have turned their back on God, or are struggling in their faith or with other spiritual issues. A special request has been made that each of us in the KRC family consider praying this prayer: "Lord, heal my soul, touch my heart, touch my tongue, break down my walls."
• KRC’s Consistory members and administrative ministries.
• KRC programs & projects and those administering them: Vacation Bible School beginning June 25; Natural Church Development; Concerts in the Village & church restoration; tricentennial events.
• leaders & those attending KRC’s Sunday School, Youth Group, new small group ministries, adult Bible study, Community Prayer Group, and New Members’ Class.
• our state and national leaders, that God will grant them the leadership skills, wisdom, and the personal protection needed to govern effectively and safely.
• our missionaries: Dave and Char Alexander, Perry Jones and Capital City Rescue Mission, Alex and Fran Knauss, Maureen Menard, Dick and Carolyn Otterness, Brian and Bea Post, Seth and Melissa Rogati, Betty Ann Stedwell.
• our children sponsored through Compassion or other agencies..
• those, especially children, victimized by famine, drought, and other natural disasters; abuses of war and violence; exploitation; neglect; and family hostility.
• families and friends grieving the loss of loved ones, especially Arnie and Claudia March mourning the passing of Arnie's father, Charles March; Tana Strom on the recent passing of her father, Edwin Thompson; Helen Kulisek and family grieving the death of Ellen’s mother, Christine Kulisek; and the Lundquest Family mourning the passing of Bill Lundquest.
• Cliff Konkle, recovering at home from a concussion after being hit by a car.
• those dealing with cancer: Melissa M., diagnosed with stage 4 cancer; Judy Iocco; Stephanie; Ron Jensen; Patricia’s mother; Donna Scalera; Emese; Joann Marvin; Rick; Matt; Tom Saulpaugh.
• those awaiting test results or surgery; recovering from surgery, injury, or illness; chronically ill; or in hospice care: Harriet Stockhoff; Jim Baker's mother; Dave Mooney; Jean Keegan; Ruth F. and Ruth C; Irene Smith; Baby Brooklyn Faith Meyer; Joan Clause; Florence Rivera; Gordie Van Buren; Sue Jones; Ron Stockhoff; Ken Smith; Kathy Schneider’s father and Charles March, Sr. in Barnwell; Paul Varga.
• those who are traveling, especially the Zietsmans visiting family in South Africa. The Zietsmans will be returning home shortly after Easter.
• those facing challenges, conflicts, difficult decisions: Kara (Ennis) Mobley; the Schuberts, as they attempt to sell John’s mother’s home in Troy; Clayton, as he selects a college; Louise; Libby Little, facing a demanding schedule; those struggling with unnamed issues; caregivers of children with health/developmental issues; those with employment or other economic troubles; those suffering discouragement, depression, despair, or other mental health issues; those struggling with dependencies/substance abuse, especially George in South Africa; those dealing with family relationships; young people challenged by the demands of schooling, looking for jobs, dealing with many temptations confronting young adults.
• God’s blessing on those recently engaged/married, expecting babies, new/first-time parents: Terry (Gaylord) Nawrot, expecting twins in July; Brad & Kelly Babic (Baby Taylor Marie), the Principis (Baby Gianna Drew).
• those caring for the elderly, displaced, disabled, or ill, especially Diane Morgan.
• our residence-bound members: Murray Leonardson and Mike Rivera.
• our military men and women, especially Courtney Hemmert, Will Ryan, and Matt Plescia - that they may know God’s presence and protection.
• families and friends of our military troops, and victims of warfare & violence worldwide, that they may be blessed with God’s peace and reassurance.
• the power of the peace & love of Christ to subdue everywhere the spirits of hatred, hostility, unforgiveness, cruelty, vengeance, and warfare.
Anyone not already on our email prayer chain who is interested in receiving our regular prayer and praise requests through email, please contact Paul or the church office.
Remember To Thank & Praise God for
• all who serve KRC Ministries by meeting regularly, setting goals, preparing recommendations, & working together to complete projects and responsibilities.
• Pastor Rudy Visser, a Spirit-filled preacher of the Word and leader of vision.
• the blessing of family and friends.
• the wonderful ways God shows his love to us, especially during difficult times.
• those men and women who have served or are now serving our country, & those who have sacrificed their well-being and lives for the peace & liberties we enjoy.
• Pete McCardle, good friend of the Clauses, has been discharged from the hospital and is now home and on his way to a full recovery from his bout with MRSA.
• successful surgery for Lonnie Hoyt to remove a brain cyst. Surgery was more extensive than planned, but it went beautifully and Lonnie is already recovering at home.
• successful cardiac surgery for Sean, nephew of Maureen Mooney. Sean is also recovering at home, and is doing well.
• Patricia Taliaferro, who is recovering well following a recent cardiac procedure
• Jim Baker’s mom, home and coming along well following a pacemaker implant.
Regular reports are needed on the progress or condition of all individuals on our prayer and praise lists. If you have updated information, especially regarding individuals whose names appear in bold print, please call the church office.
NAMI, (National Alliance on Mental Illness) is sponsoring a program, the "Family-to-Family Education Program," as part of a nationwide commitment to provide a free series of classes to help families of adults with serious mental illness understand and cope with the challenges of this difficult life experience. If you are interested in this opportunity, or know of others who might be, additional materials are available on the back table for your reference.
2012 EVENTS TO CELEBRATE OUR 300th YEAR
April 8, 10 am Easter service
April 22, 3 pm “Glory of Handel” with organist David Smith, members from the Albany Symphony Orchestra, and choral singers
May 20, 4 pm Keynote Worship Service, Kinderhook Reformed Church Tricentennial Celebration - a portion of the service will be presented in Dutch, and a reception will follow the service
May 26, Abe Williamson Memorial at Kinderhook Cemetery - dedication of a memorial monument placed by family members in remembrance of family members and others buried in the cemetery without markers
June 25-29, 9-12 Noon daily “National Parks Vacation Bible School” for ages 3 through Grade 6
July 20, 7 pm An evening of acoustic worship with Derek Levendusky -
Derek is the lead singer of the band, “Isaiah 6”
Fall Concert (details TBA)
November 3, Church Bazaar
December 16, Third annual Lessons & Carols with organist David Smith and choir
MANY THANKS AND BLESSINGS TO THE KRC FAMILY FOR THEIR GENEROSITY IN SUPPORT OF THE VALATIE FOOD PANTRY. The Pantry served 90 families in February, including 161 adults and 102 children. The Pantry is heavily over-stocked on spaghetti at this time, but other non-perishable foods that are always popular are evaporated milk; coffee; sugar; boxed cereals; pancake mix; syrup; jelly; canned meats, fruits, and vegetables; spaghetti sauce; mac & cheese; dinner helpers; apple sauce; juice; cake & brownie mixes. Donations may be placed in the collection containers available in the church entryways.
WEBSITE, AND FAX INFORMATION
Email Address – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website Address – kinderhookreformedchurch.com
Evenings have been set aside for meetings, pastoral visitations, and counseling.
For assistance on Mondays, please call 859-4158
Church Phone 758-6401 Church Fax 758-6402
Phone messages are picked up several times daily.
If you need immediate assistance anytime, please call 859-4158.
KRC 2012-2013 CONSISTORY
Pastor Rev. Rudy Visser, President of Consistory, Classis Delegat
Noreen Dick – ’13, Church Family 758-6640
Patrice Lyons – ’13, Missions 758-8400
Laura Rafferty – ’12, Property 828-7189
Barbara Vosburgh –’13, Stewardship / Treasurer 758-6512
Dave Ennis – ’13, Worship 784-9656
Maureen Mooney – ’12, Evangelism / Clerk 210-6079
Dawn Van Buren – ’13, Cemetery / Pastoral Relations /
Personnel / VP of Consistory 758-7564
Patti Varga–’12, Christian Education 392-4771
John Schubert, Chairman, Classis Financial Committee
KRC Secretary Cemetery Supervisor/KRC Sexton
Paul Clause – 859-4158 Greg Clause – 369-8472, 758-1338