Kinderhook Reformed Church Worship Service
Route 9 & Church Street, Kinderhook, NY
10:00 a.m. January 1, 2012 – New Year’s Day
“To Know Christ and to Make Him Known”
Perry Jones, Guest Pastor
Executive Director, Capital City Rescue Mission
A WARM WELCOME TO VISITORS
You are invited to sign our Guest Book at the church entrance and to fill out a pew card and place it in the offering plate. We would like to get to know you better, and we invite you to enjoy fellowship and refreshments with us at Coffee Hour downstairs in the Fellowship Room following today’s Worship Service.
Ushers: Jeff Barmen, Derick Latorre, Steve Shpur, Bob Wildermuth
Greeter(s): Mid Glass
Preschool Nursery facility is available downstairs.
Order of Worship
WELCOME, SILENT PRAYER, and PREPARATION FOR WORSHIP
Boldly Approaching Our God
CALL TO WORSHIP (Responsive) Based on Isaiah 46
Come now into the house of God
to listen to him and to worship him.
He has upheld us since we were conceived,
and he carries us from birth to old age.
Come now to thank God who sustains us,
who makes known the end from the beginning
None can compare to him, and he has no equal.
Some pour out gold and silver from their bags
and make it into a god, and bow down and worship it.
They cry out to it, but it does not answer;
they call upon it, but it cannot save.
Come and pray to God who hears,
Exalt and sing praises to God who grants us salvation,
who brings his righteousness and splendor near.
*HYMN #43 A Mighty Fortress Is Our God
CALL TO CONFESSION Based on Isaiah 45:21-22
“There is no God apart from me,” says the Lord. “I am a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me. Seek after me, for I am God, and there is no other. Turn to me and be saved, all of you. ”
PRAYER OF CONFESSION and ASSURANCE OF PARDON (Unison)
Righteous God who will judge the living and the dead, we confess to our blind and ungodly pursuit of the self-centered pleasures and passions - the false gods - of this world. Awaken in us the need for your salvation. Purify us from all wickedness. Strengthen our hearts to be holy, self-controlled, and upright in this present age, eager to do good while we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ.
[Silent Prayer of Confession]
Praise be to God, who forgives us through faith in his Son, our Redeemer;
who keeps us pure and blameless - body, soul and spirit – until the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. Alleluia! Amen!
We Come Before God’s Open Word
PRAYER FOR ILLUMINATION (Unison) Based on Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah
Guide us, great Jehovah. We are weak, but you are mighty; hold us in your powerful hand. Open your crystal fountain streaming with truth and spiritual healing; let your holy fire and cloudy pillar lead us. Bread of Heaven, feed us – feed us till we want no more, and we will praise you forever. Amen.
SCRIPTURE LESSON 1 Kings 18:41 – 19:3 (pp. 254-5)
MESSAGE “Trusting a Promise-Keeping God”
PRAYER OF BLESSING
*HYMN OF PRAISE #306 Standing on the Promises
PRESENTATION OF OUR TITHES and OFFERINGS/OFFERTORY
*DOXOLOGY and PRAYER (Unison) Based on the hymn, What Does the Lord Require?
God of righteousness and goodness, your word tells us what you require of us for praise and offering - what sacrifices or tributes you bid us to bring to you: “Act justly, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God.” Grant that Christ will fortify our resolve, through his grace, to meet these hard and high demands using every resource he has made available to us. Amen.
ANNOUNCEMENTS CONCERNING THE FAMILY OF GOD
PASTORAL PRAYER and THE LORD’S PRAYER
*HYMN OF PRAISE #519 It Is Well with My soul
*BENEDICTION, BLESSING, & RESPONSE - My Friends, May You Grow in Grace
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen. (2x)
For those who are using the envelope system to present tithes and offerings to the church, new envelopes for 2012 are ready for pick-up in the back of the sanctuary. Boxes are labeled in alphabetical order by last name. PLEASE USE YOUR NEW ENVELOPES BEGINNING TODAY. IF YOU ARE NOT USING OFFERING ENVELOPES, BUT WOULD LIKE TO BEGIN, PLEASE FILL OUT ONE OF THE SMALL GREEN REQUEST SLIPS ON THE BACK TABLE AND DROP IT IN THE OFFERING PLATE. YOU MAY DO THIS NOW OR ANY TIME WITHIN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS.
~NOTE OF THANKS FROM LIBBY LITTLE~
Dear Friends at Kinderhook Reformed Church,
I am so very thankful for your prayers and support through Interserve at the close of this year. It has been a year of change and challenge, so your “constancy” through it all has encouraged me as I have stepped into this new area of mission service. Thank you very much. Love, Libby
Kinderhook Reformed Church is launching its 300th Anniversary Celebration NEXT SUNDAY, JANUARY 8, immediately following the Worship Service. The 300th Anniversary Banner will be up for display, and a photograph will be taken of the congregation in front of the church under the banner! A brunch will be served as part of this opening of our year-long celebration, and donations of food items are needed to fill out the brunch menu. Please sign up on the sheet at the back table in the sanctuary. AT LEAST ONE 300th BIRTHDAY EVENT IS BEING PLANNED FOR EACH MONTH OF 2012, BEGINNING WITH THE JANUARY 8 FESTIVITIES. EVERYONE’S HELP IS VERY MUCH NEEDED, AND WE ASK THAT YOU PRAYERFULLY CONSIDER HOW YOU MIGHT PARTICIPATE IN THIS UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY FOR MINISTRY TO OUR CONGREGATION AND COMMUNITY. Please pray that God will continue to bless our church family as we move forward into our tricentennial year, and that each activity carried out will further our mission to know Christ and make Him known. Contact Laura Rafferty, (518) 653-3994, with questions.
KRC’s share of support will be $6,456 in 2012 for services and resources to be provided for us by the Reformed Church in America at the local, regional, and national levels. EACH MEMBER’S SHARE OF CLASSIS ASSESSMENT FOR 2012 HAS BEEN SET AT $81.72, UP ONLY 87¢ FROM LAST YEAR! THIS AVERAGES OUT TO JUST $1.57 PER WEEK PER MEMBER. All who are able to do so are encouraged to offer, over and above their regular giving, their share of this support. The full share does not have to be given at one time, but may be given in as many increments as are convenient throughout the year. All contributions made for this purpose should be clearly designated, “Classis Assessment.” MANY THANKS TO THOSE WHO DONATED nearly $4,000 THIS PAST YEAR TO HELP DEFRAY THIS ONGOING EXPENSE.
Orders for 2012 calendars, featuring photographs of Kinderhook by Jim Dunham, are being accepted for a donation of $15 to benefit the Kinderhook Cemetery. To order one of these beautiful calendars, contact Jim, 758-6171.
TO THOSE IN THE KRC FAMILY CELEBRATING DECEMBER BIRTHDAYS:
Marion Arnold, Nikki Barmen, Beth Ennis, Merrill Johnson,
Julie Moore, Spencer Moore, Birgitt Sherman, Cricket Warren
KRC SMALL GROUPS
PLEASE NOTE: KRC’s small groups offered on Thursdays at 9 a.m. and 7 p.m. are in recess until sometime in mid-January. Please watch upcoming bulletins for details about when they will resume.
MUCH APPRECIATION TO THE KRC FAMILY FOR THEIR SUPPORT OF THE VALATIE FOOD PANTRY, Non-perishable foods that are always popular at the pantry are evaporated milk; coffee; sugar; boxed cereals; pancake mix; syrup; jelly; canned meats, fruits, and vegetables; spaghetti sauce; mac & cheese; dinner helpers; apple sauce; juice; cake & brownie mixes. Donations may be placed in the collection containers available in the entryways of the church.
Remember to Pray for
• those who do not know Christ, have turned their back on God, or are struggling in their faith.
• KRC’s Consistory members and administrative ministries.
• KRC programs & projects and those implementing and administering them: Natural Church Development; church restoration; KRC’s 300th birthday events.
• leaders & those attending KRC’s Sunday School, Youth Group, new small group ministries, adult Bible study, Community Prayer Group, and New Members’ Class.
• our state and national leaders, that God will grant them the leadership skills, wisdom, and the personal protection needed to govern effectively and safely.
• our missionaries: Dave and Char Alexander, Perry Jones and Capital City Rescue Mission, Alex and Fran Knauss, Maureen Menard, Dick and Carolyn Otterness, Brian and Bea Post, Seth and Melissa Rogati, Betty Ann Stedwell.
• our children sponsored through Compassion or other agencies.
• those, especially children, victimized by famine, drought, and other natural disasters; abuses of war and violence; exploitation; neglect; and family hostility.
• those grieving the loss of loved ones, especially family and friends of Archie Williams; family and friends grieving the utimely death of Kim; and the Smith Family, grieving the death of Liz, mother and wife.
• Laree Devine, daughter of Loris Clark, recovering in Albany Med from surgery to repair 2 life-threatening brain aneurysms, one of which burst the day after Christmas; tests have pinpointed two other aneurysms requiring additional surgery to repair. Please pray for a complete recovery for Laree, and for comfort, reassurance, and peace for Loris, Laree’s husband, Lawrence, her four children, and other family members.
• Al Van Alstyne, in hospice at Barnwell. Pray for comfort, peace, and reassurance for Al and his wife, Joan, as well as for their family.
• those dealing with cancer: Ron Jensen; Patricia’s mother; Shelly LoPiccolo; Gordon Parker; Donna Scalera; Emese; Joann Marvin; Rick; Matt; Tom Saulpaugh.
• those awaiting test results or surgery; recovering from surgery, injury, or illness; chronically ill; or in hospice care: Joan Clause; Jane Deane; Stacey Baker; Patricia Taliaferro; Susan; Patricia and twins; Carol; Gordie Van Buren; Richard Williams; Sue Jones; Betty, sister of Sally Heimroth; Mark VanBuren; Dawn VanBuren; Florence Rivera; Ron Stockhoff; Ken Smith; Merrill & Erika Johnson; George Clowe; Kathy Schneider’s father and Charles March, Sr. in Barnwell; Paul Varga.
• those facing challenges, conflicts, difficult decisions: Libby Little, facing the challenges of a demanding itinerary of speaking; Olivia and family; those struggling with unnamed issues; caregivers of children with health/developmental issues; those with employment/economic troubles; those suffering discouragement, depression, despair, or other mental health issues; those struggling with dependencies/substance abuse, especially Kathy, Greg L, Rachael, and Martin; those dealing with family relationships; young people challenged by the demands of schooling, looking for jobs, dealing with the many temptations confronting young adults.
• God’s blessing on those recently engaged/married, expecting babies, new/first-time parents: Derick Latorre and Heather Donahue, recently engaged; first-time parents, Brad and Kelly Ennis Babic (Baby Taylor Marie), and Ryan & Jennifer (Deane) Anderson (Baby Grace); new parents, the Principis (Baby Gianna Drew), Leré & Anina Visagie (Baby Luke)
• those caring for the elderly, displaced, disabled, or ill, especially Diane Morgan.
• our residence-bound members: Murray Leonardson and Mike Rivera.
• our military men and women, especially Courtney Hemmert; Will Ryan; Matt Plescia; and Spencer Moore - that they may know God’s presence and protection.
• families and friends of our military troops, and victims of warfare & violence worldwide, that they may be blessed with God’s peace and reassurance.
• the power of the peace & love of Christ to subdue everywhere the spirits of hatred, hostility, unforgiveness, cruelty, vengeance, and warfare.
Regular reports are needed on the progress or condition of all individuals on our prayer and praise lists. If you have updated information, especially regarding individuals whose names appear in bold print, please call the church office.
Remember To Thank & Praise God for
• all who serve KRC Ministries by meeting regularly, setting goals, preparing recommendations, & working together to complete projects and responsibilities.
• Pastor Rudy Visser, a Spirit-filled preacher of the Word and leader of vision.
• Sabrina’s reunion with her biological mother after 32 years!
• Joan Clause’s continuing good recovery from a recent stroke
• the blessing of the delightful Christmas pageant presented recently by KRC Sunday School students and staff.
• the wonderful church family and community response to KRC’s 2nd annual Lessons and Carols worship service December 18, as well as for the inspiring and spiritually uplifting recounting, both in song and word, of the birth of Christ. Many thanks to all those who contributed their time and talents to the success of this outreach event.
• all those who participated in the Angel Tree and Capital City Rescue Mission Christmas gifts programs. Because of your generosity, many children will know the joy of receiving a gift from a parent who is in prison, and many homeless men will be able to keep warm and more comfortable this winter.
• KRC’s recent Candlelight Night Open House and Christmas Eve Candlelight Service. Our church was filled on both occasions with community and church family members enjoying each other’s fellowship as well as the beauty and traditions of the season. Many thanks to all who worked to make these outreach events a success.
• the blessing of family and friends.
• the homecoming of Leah and Samantha, premature twins born recently to Amy and Ryan, friends of Claudia and Arnie March
• the encouraging report that Angie Rivera Maycole has recovered well and is able to be back at work.
• Marcia Smith’s good recovery from her bout with cancer, and that she is back to work.
• the good news that Gordie Van Buren continues to do very well at home - baked goods and visits are always welcome!
• the wonderful ways God shows his love to us, especially during difficult times.
• those men and women who have served or are now serving our country, & those who have sacrificed their well-being and lives for the peace & liberties we enjoy.
OFFICE, EMAIL,WEBSITE, AND FAX INFORMATION
Email Address – email@example.com
Website Address – kinderhookreformedchurch.com
Rev. Rudy is scheduled to be in his church office
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings.
If you wish to meet with Pastor during these times,
please call ahead for an appointment.
Evenings have been set aside for meetings, pastoral visitations,
For assistance on Fridays, please call or 859-4158
Church Phone 758-6401 Church Fax 758-6402
Phone messages are picked up several times daily.
If you need immediate assistance anytime, please call 859-4158.
Sun., January 1 New Year’s Day
10:00 am Worship Service – Perry Jones preaching
11:15 am Adult Sunday School meets, main floor conference room
Please Note: Sunday School will be in recess until January 8, 2012.
Tues., January 3
7:00 pm KRC Youth Group meets
Thur., January 4
10:00 am Community Prayer Group meets @ KRC
Please Note: KRC’s small groups meeting on Thursdays will be in recess until sometime in mid-January. Watch future bulletins for details about when they will resume.
Fri., January 6
9:30 am Church Family Ministry meets @KRC
Sun., January 8
10:00 am Communion Worship and Sunday School
Please Note: Sunday School resumes January 8, 2012.
11:00 am KRC’s 300th Anniversary Kick-Off Celebration Brunch
Please Note: Adult Sunday School class will not meet January 8.
Sun., January 15
10:00 am Worship Service and Sunday School
Ordination and installation of 2012 Consistory members
11:15 am Adult Sunday School meets, main floor conference room
Servers Next Sunday, January 8, 2011
Ushers: Jeff Barmen, Derick Latorre, Steve Shpur, Bob Wildermuth
Greeter(s): Jim and Bonnie Dunham