Kinderhook Reformed Church Worship Service
10:00 a.m. December 26, 2010
Route 9 and Church Street, Kinderhook, NY
“To Know Christ and to Make Him Known”
The Rev. Rudy Visser, Pastor
A WARM WELCOME TO VISITORS
You are invited to sign our Guest Book at the church entrance and to fill out a pew card and place it in the offering plate. We would like to get to know you better, and invite you to enjoy fellowship and refreshments with us downstairs in the Fellowship Room immediately following Worship.
Ushers: Alan Dick, Eric Herrmann, Merrill Johnson, Lere Visagie
Greeter(s): Sara Hartman
Preschool Nursery is available downstairs, Heather Donahue supervising.
Donations are now being accepted for the Christmas poinsettias
decorating our pulpit area. Your gifts are greatly appreciated.
Order of Worship
WELCOME, SILENT PRAYER, & PREPARATION FOR WORSHIP
VOTUM and GOD’S GREETING
God’s Children’s Approach
CALL TO WORSHIP (Responsive)
Arise, people of God! The light has come;
it shines around us, within us, and without us.
In the gloom of winter we seek out the light of Christ;
we yearn for God’s radiance and warmth.
Gather, people of God! Come to encounter the Holy Mystery of God-with-us.
As the wise men journeyed from afar,
so have we come to pay homage to the Christ child.
Give thanks, people of God! Let us be servants of the gospel,
sharers in the promise of Christ.
Through Christ, we have access to God; let us be bold in our worship
*HYMN OF PRAISE #194 Jesus Came, the Heavens Adoring
CALL TO CONFESSION – Mathew 22:34-40
PRAYER OF CONFESSION (Unison)
God of eternal hope, you place a light into every darkness and a star in every sky. So easily we cover over the light of possibility with a flurry of worry. We walk bent over with care and concern and miss the reach of the stars. We fear the worst and distrust the best. We forge ahead on our own, not noticing your outstretched hand. We forget that there is never a moment that you are not with us, that your Son was called. Forgive us the harm we do to ourselves and other by not obeying you…and forgive our lack of commitment to you and to living a life in all its fullness!
[Silent Prayer of Confession]
Immanuel, Lord of hope, the Light of Peace, come be the radiance of our joy.
Shine your light on our path and walk with us
through all our valleys with the sun at our backs. Amen.
ASSURANCE OF PARDON - Psalm 103:8, 10-12
God’s Opened Word
PRAYER FOR ILLUMINATION
SCRIPTURES Hebrews 2:10-18 (p. 846-7)
MESSAGE Jesus’ Embrace of Humanity and What this Means for Me and You!”
PRAYER OF THANKS
God’s Children Celebrating Him
PRESENTATION OF OUR TITHES and OFFERINGS/OFFERTORY
*DOXOLOGY and OFFERTORY PRAYER (Unison)
Heavenly Father, we are so grateful. You sent your Son to live among us, walk with us and die for us. Now that Advent is over, may the joy and peace that captured our hearts continue to pervade our lives in the new year. In that same spirit, we bring our gifts to you today. Because you’ve given much, we, in turn, give back to you. May our gifts be a joy to your heart. Amen.
ANNOUNCEMENTS CONCERNING THE FAMILY OF GOD
PASTORAL PRAYER and LORD’S PRAYER
*HYMN #311 God Has spoken by His Prophets
*BENEDICTION and RESPONSE - My Friends, May You Grow in Grace
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen.
For those who are using the envelope system to present tithes and offerings to the church, new envelopes for 2011 are ready for pick-up up TODAY in the back of the sanctuary. Boxes are labeled in alphabetical order by last name. PLEASE USE YOUR NEW ENVELOPES BEGINNING SUNDAY, JANUARY 2.
IF YOU ARE NOT USING OFFERING ENVELOPES, BUT WOULD LIKE TO BEGIN, PLEASE FILL OUT ONE OF THE SMALL GREEN REQUEST SLIPS ON THE BACK TABLE AND DROP IT IN THE OFFERING PLATE. YOU MAY DO THIS NOW OR AT ANY TIME WITHIN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS.
The Cemetery Committee has a few more calendars available.
See Jim Dunham (759-6171) if you are interested in purchasing a
2011 Kinderhook Calendar. The cost is $10.
Many, many thanks to all those who participated in the CCRM Men’s, Star, and Angel Tree gift ministries – many experienced the joy of Christmas and will have a warmer winter due to your generosity!
A SINCERE THANK-YOU TO THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY OFFERED THEIR INDIVIDUAL SHARE OF THIS SUPPORT. If you have not yet supported this effort, and are able to do so over and above your regular giving, you may place your share ($75 per active member) in the offering plate, clearly designated for this purpose.
Remember to Pray for
• Those whose families and friends are praying for their salvation or other spiritual needs
• The RCA General Secretary Search Committee requests, “Please include the search committee in your prayers every time you gather” - Wes Granberg-Michaelson, General Secretary of the RCA, will retire in the fall of 2011
• KRC’s Consistory members and administrative ministries
• New KRC programs & projects and those implementing and administering them: Natural Church Development; Angel Food; church restoration; KRC’s Christmas gift programs; Lessons and Carols; Service of Remembrance; Christmas Eve Candlelight Service; other Ministry projects
• Leaders of KRC’s Sunday School, Youth Group, Adult Bible Study, and Prayer Group as they administer programs over the next several months; and for those attending these programs
• Our state and national leaders, that God will grant them the leadership skills, wisdom, and personal safety needed to govern effectively
• Our missionaries; children sponsored through Compassion or other agencies
• Those, especially children, suffering abuses of war, exploitation, neglect, family violence, natural disaster
• Those grieving the loss of loved ones
• Larry Cady and his family – Larry is now in hospice care
• Gordie Van Buren, recovering at home following recent successful surgery
• Those dealing with cancer: Carin; Kara Ennis Mobley; Lillian Roginski; Dawn Meyers; Melanie; Ed B.; Rylyn Swierzewski
• Others awaiting test results or surgery; recovering from surgery, injury, or illness; chronically ill; or in hospice care: Lauren Scalera; Dawn Van Buren; Matt; Vivian Williams; Blanche Rogers; Esther Baker; Stacey Baker; Elize Visser’s mother’ Irene Smith; John Hodgson; Karina Speer; Jack Taylor; Marie; Dorothy Novak; Christophe; Kris Morgan; Blanche Rogers; Ann Van Buren; Pastor Rudy; Tom Saulpaugh; Emese; Merrill & Erika Johnson; Priscilla Frisbee; George Clowe; Kathy Schneider’s father in Barnwell; Paul Varga; Earl Ennis
• The housemates of Yuchi Clause, grandson of Paul and Joan Clause, victims of the house fire in Catskill this past week, that their needs for shelter and other necessities will be met and that they will recover quickly from their loss and displacement
• Those facing challenges, conflicts, difficult decisions: Libby Little; the Riveras; the Vargas; local RCA and other churches consolidating or considering closing their doors permanently; caregivers of children with health or developmental issues; those facing employment/economic troubles, especially Rev. Michaelangelo, seeking a pastoral position; those struggling with substance abuse, especially Rachael, Greg L., Martin, & Andy; those suffering low self-esteem, discouragement, depression, despair, other emotional/mental health issues; those struggling with family relationships; young people dealing with the challenges of the school year, looking for jobs, dealing with the many temptations confronting young adults
• Those caring for the elderly, displaced, disabled, or ill, especially Diane Morgan and John and Sara Schubert
• Our residence-bound members: Murray Leonardson, Mike Rivera
• God’s blessing on those recently engaged/married, expecting babies, new/first-time parents: Nicole, expecting her first child; Gary and Sarah (Hubel) March, Andrew & Melissa (Call) Welcome, recently married; new parents Kate (Little) and Chris Stevens (Baby Vivian Elise)
• Those who are traveling during the holiday season
• Our military men and women – especially Will Ryan, recently deployed to Afghanistan, Matt Plescia, Carrington Hessell, Spencer Moore, and Jay Rippel - that they may know God’s presence and protection
• Families and friends of our military troops, and victims of warfare & violence worldwide - that they may be blessed with God’s peace and reassurance;
• The power of the peace & love of Christ to subdue everywhere the spirits of hatred, hostility, unforgiveness, cruelty, vengeance, and warfare
Regular reports are needed on the progress or condition of all individuals on our prayer and praise lists. If you have updated information, especially regarding individuals whose names appear in bold print, please call the church office.
~A STANDING INVITATION FROM COMMUNITY PRAYER GROUP~
KRC’s Community Prayer Group invites you to join us at 9 a.m. Tuesday mornings in the conference room kitty-corner from the church office. If you prefer not to pray aloud, we are delighted to have you join in prayer with us silently. We have a scripture, and pray for the pastor, consistory, our ministries, Sunday School, our youth, and illness and troubles in our families, church, and the world. We use unspoken requests to unload the cries of our hearts on the One who can do all things and do them well.
Remember To Thank & Praise God for
• All who serve KRC Ministries by meeting regularly, setting goals, preparing recommendations, & working together to complete Ministry projects and responsibilities
• His blessing of a wonderful, caring, Spirit-filled pastor of vision such as Pastor Rudy, and for steady healing and improvement in Pastor’s injured elbow
• Kris Morgan’s speedy healing following successful surgery and negative test results
• The beauty and joy of our Christmas Eve Canclelight Service, for the many membero of our community and church family who attended and joined in the caroling, and for all who shared their singing and instrumental talents to provide a memorable evening of traditional Christmas music.
• His blessing of the recent very beautiful organ and choral Christmas outreach program, “A Celebration of Lessons and Carols,” which proclaimed in song and word the Gospel of the birth of Christ; praise God also for all who contributed their time, talent, and energy to the success of this ministry to our community
• The many who served in Candlelight Night’s very successful Open House Outreach ministry by providing refreshments, cookie decorating, tours, music, and caroling
• The compassionate care and great support of hospice nurses and volunteers
• The wonderful ways God shows his love to us, especially during difficult times
• Those men and women who have served or are now serving our country, & those who have sacrificed their well-being and lives for the peace & liberties we enjoy
4 CARE packages have been sent out to Jay Rippel and his fellow soldiers serving near the Afghanistan/Pakistan border. Many thanks to all who contributed to this ministry.
Literacy Connections of Columbia and Greene Counties is actively seeking volunteers to help others in our community learn to read, write, and reach their potential. If you are interested in the rewarding role of becoming a literacy volunteer, call 518-697-8227 or 845-452-8670 or visit our website,
~IMPORTANT REQUEST FROM STEWARDSHIP MINISTRY ~
In an effort to exercise the best possible stewardship in the use of our heating fuel, we are requesting that individuals and ministries using the church building make a special effort before leaving the church to be sure that the doors between the various heating zones are properly closed. All of these doors have signs posted on them as reminders, with the exception of the doors leading into the front and rear of the sanctuary, and the wooden folding door leading to the meeting rooms behind the pulpit and the third floor classrooms of the Christian education wing; these doors should be closed as well when the sanctuary and the meeting rooms are not in use. Thank you.
KRC OFFICE, EMAIL,WEBSITE, AND FAX INFORMATION
Email Address – email@example.com
Website Address – kinderhookreformedchurch.com
Rev. Rudy is scheduled to be in his church office
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings.
If you wish to meet with Pastor during these times,
please call ahead for an appointment.
Evenings have been set aside for meetings, pastoral visitations, and counseling.
For assistance on Fridays, please call 758-9703 or 859-4158
Church Phone 758-6401 Church Fax 758-6402
Phone messages are picked up several times daily.
If you need immediate assistance anytime, please call 859-4158.
KRC Treasurer KRC Secretary
Barbara Vosburgh – 758-6512 Paul Clause – 859-4158
Cemetery Supervisor/KRC Sexton
Greg Clause – 369-8472, 758-1338
Sun., December 26
10:00 am Worship
Please Note: Sunday School is in recess today and next Sunday.
Our next Communion Worship service will be on January 9.
11:15 am Adult Bible Study, main floor conference room
Tue., December 28
9:00 am Community Prayer Group meets @KRC
7:00 - 8:30 pm KRC Youth Group meets
Thur., December 30 6:30 pm ZUMBA fitness group, Fellowship Room
Servers Next Sunday, January 2, 2010
Ushers: Chuck Rothermel, Bill Schneider, Paul Zietsman
Nursery: Laura Rafferty