Kinderhook Reformed Church Worship Service
November 7, 2010, 10:00 A.M.
Route 9 and Church Street, Kinderhook, NY
“To Know Christ and to Make Him Known”
Rev. Rudy Visser, Pastor
A WARM WELCOME TO VISITORS
You are invited to sign our Guest Book at the church entrance and to fill out a pew card and place it in the offering plate. We would like to get to know you better, and invite you to enjoy fellowship and refreshments with us downstairs in the Fellowship Room immediately following Worship.
A Prayer Partner can be available to pray with you if you so desire.
Ushers: Jim Baker, Bob Dreier, John Schubert, Loren Speer
Greeter(s): Dick and Bev Van Alstyne
Preschool Nursery is available downstairs, Nikki Barmen supervising.
Flowers are given today by Isabelle Bosquet-Morra.
Order of Worship
WELCOME, SILENT PRAYER, & PREPARATION FOR WORSHIP
VOTUM and GOD’S GREETING
God’s Children’s Approach
CALL TO WORSHIP (Responsive) - Based on Psalm 148.
Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens;
praise him in the heights!
Praise him, all his angels; praise him, all his host!
Praise him, sun and moon; praise him, all you shining stars!
Praise him, you highest heavens,
and you waters above the heavens!
Let them praise the name of the Lord, for he commanded
and they were created. He established them forever and ever;
he fixed their bounds, which cannot be passed.
Let the mountains and hills, the animals and the birds
praise the name of the Lord, for his name alone is exalted;
his glory is above earth and heaven. He has raised up a horn
for his people, for his faithful children who are close to him.
Praise the Lord!
*HYMN #62 Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
CALL TO CONFESSION
Jesus modeled for us a life of humility and faith and calls us to follow his example. Where have we fallen short of being Christ to the world this week? Let us confess our sins together.
PRAYER OF CONFESSION
God of compassion, we confess that in our busyness we do not always love; we forget whose we are and to whom we belong; we get caught up in what we know, what we want, and putting our desires ahead of everyone and everything else. We listen to false prophets, and worship idols of our own making. Forgive us, O God, for words that hurt, actions that destroy, knowledge that corrupts, addictions that consume. Forgive us when our pride and self-righteousness build walls in our relationships with you, our family, and our friends and neighbors.
[Moment of Silent Confession]
Season us with your love. Help us to be kind and loving —
encouraging others instead of demeaning them.
Make us agents of your transforming hope in a hurting world.
In the name of the one Lord, Jesus Christ,
through whom we see the face of God. Amen.
ASSURANCE OF PARDON
The mercy of God is from everlasting to everlasting. Friends, hear the Good News and believe: In Jesus Christ you are forgiven. Alleluia. Amen.
*CHILDREN’S PRAYER OF BLESSING (Unison)
Draw our children face-to-face with you, O Lord. May they feel your presence, know your love, and taste your goodness; may they experience your power to renew and strengthen them in times of need; and may they long for more of you each day of their lives. Amen.
Sunday School students are now invited to join their teachers.
God’s Opened Word
SCRIPTURE LESSON Haggai 2:1 - 9 (p. 668)
MESSAGE “The Bible – A Home-Renovation Magazine?”
PRAYER OF THANKS
God’s Children Celebrating Him
SACRAMENT OF COMMUNION (Insert)
PRESENTATION OF OUR TITHES and OFFERINGS/OFFERTORY
*DOXOLOGY and OFFERTORY PRAYER (Unison)
We count it a privilege, merciful Savior, to share in the fruits of your kingdom and also to participate in its harvest. We pray that you would use the gifts of our tithes and offerings, our talents and time, and the passions of our hearts to work for the coming of your kingdom to this earth. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.
ANNOUNCEMENTS CONCERNING THE FAMILY OF GOD
PASTORAL PRAYER and THE LORD’S PRAYER
*HYMN #558 Love Divine, All Loves Excelling
*BENEDICTION and RESPONSE My Friends, May You Grow in Grace
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen.
~ TODAY AT 11:15 FOLLOWING WORSHIP ~
New Members’ Class will meet in Pastor’s Study.
Adult Bible Study will meet in the main floor conference room.
THE DEADLINE FOR RETURNING BALLOTS FOR NOMINATING 2011 CONSISTORY OFFICERS IS TODAY. Ballots may be folded and dropped into the offering plate or brought to the church office. Consistory urges every active, confessing member to fulfill this responsibility prayerfully.
KRC’s Missions Ministry has placed grocery bags and food lists on the back table for KRC’s annual Fall Food Drive, which continues through next Sunday, November 14, in support of the Valatie Ecumenical Food Pantry. If you have not yet received a grocery bag, please take one today, bring your donations of non-perishable food items back to the church next week, and help feed many needy families in our community. Thanks to the generosity of the KRC family, 102 FOOD ITEMS HAVE TAKEN TO THE PANTRY THIS PAST WEEK, FOR A TOTAL OF 122 ITEMS AND $20 IN CASH TO DATE .
Today is Communion Sunday, which has been designated for the presentation of gifts, over and above regular giving, to the Benevolent Fund. Please support this important ministry which provides assistance to needy church family & community members.
~THANK YOU FROM ELIZE AND PASTOR RUDY~
Elize and I would like to thank Alan Dick for the work he has done in fixing the stairs at the parsonage and building a railing for them, and for his help in resurfacing of the garage floor - a one-day project that turned into a week-long ordeal! Thank you Alan, thank you, thank you.
EVENTS TO REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER
Angel food menus & ordering information for the month of November are now available on the back table. Note: ordering deadline is 2 p.m. THURSDAY, NOV. 11. Distribution is at KRC SATURDAY, NOV. 20, 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
“Setting Sail Again”, a program designed to bolster new life and motivation in the leadership of today’s church congregations, will be presented here at KRC SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 13, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. With the help of the video and web materials of Alice Mann and Reggie McNeil, participants will be invited to rethink KRC‘s current ministry model and approach. Everyone is welcome, especially Consistory members, Ministry chairs, Ministry members, and anyone who may be thinking of serving on one of KRC’s Ministries. For more information, visit KRC’s website at kinderhookreformedchurch.com
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Church Family Ministry’s November Soup Sale will feature VEGETABLE BEEF SOUP. Prices are $4.00 a pint and $8.00 a quart. Soup must be pre-ordered, and orders must be placed by NEXT SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 14. Please find the manila envelope in the foyer with an ordering sheet attached. Enter your ordering information on the sheet, and place your check (made out to “KRC” with “Church Family Soup” on the memo line), in the envelope. Your soup order will be delivered to you in the Fellowship Room on SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 21.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Stewardship Ministry will present a financial report NEXT SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 14, during Worship. Fellowship Hour will be canceled to accommodate a question-and-answer period following the service, and Stewardship will answer questions you may have.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Natural Church Development Retreat, 2–4 p.m. NEXT SUNDAY AFTER- NOON, NOVEMBER 14.
Literacy Connections of Columbia and Greene Counties is actively seeking volunteers to help others in our community learn to read, write, and reach their potential. If you are interested in the rewarding role of becoming a literacy volunteer, call 518-697-8227 or 845-452-8670 or visit our website,
Remember to Pray for
• Those whose families and friends are praying for their salvation or other spiritual needs
• KRC’s Consistory members and administrative ministries
• New KRC programs & projects and those implementing and administering them: Natural Church Development; Angel Food; church restoration; Candlelight Night; other KRC Ministry projects
• Leaders of KRC’s Sunday School, Youth Group, Adult Bible Study, and Prayer Group as they administer programs over the next several months; and for those attending these programs
• Our state and national leaders, that God will grant them the leadership skills, wisdom, and personal safety needed to govern effectively
• Our missionaries; children sponsored through Compassion or other agencies
• Those, especially children, suffering abuses of war, exploitation, neglect, family violence, natural disaster
• Families and friends grieving the loss of loved ones
• Gordie Van Buren, hospitalized with extremes of low and high blood pressure; pray that medications will quickly stabilize this condition and bring it under control
• Kara Ennis Mobley, recovering from surgery this past Tuesday in Boston
• Marie, recovering from major jaw surgery recently
• Jack Taylor, still hospitalized fighting pneumonia and complications with infection – pray also for comfort and assurance for Jack’s family
• Those dealing with cancer: Kara Ennis Mobley; Lillian Roginski; Dawn Meyers; Melanie; Ed B.; Rylyn Swierzewski
• Others awaiting test results or surgery; recovering from surgery, injury, or illness; chronically ill; or in hospice care: Christophe; Kris Morgan; Blanche Rogers; Ann Van Buren; Pastor Rudy; Tom Saulpaugh; Emese; Libby Little; Merrill & Erika Johnson; Priscilla Frisbee; George Clowe; Beth Ryan; Kathy Schneider’s father in Barnwell; Paul Varga; Earl Ennis
• Those caring for the elderly, displaced, disabled, or ill, especially Diane Morgan, Bill and Kathy Schneider, and John and Sara Schubert
• Those facing challenges, conflicts, difficult decisions: Marilyn Leiser and her family; the Riveras; the Vargas; local RCA and other churches consolidating or considering closing their doors permanently; caregivers of children with health or developmental issues; those facing employment/economic troubles, especially Lisa, in need of a home and a job; those struggling with substance abuse, especially Rachael, Greg L., Martin, & Andy; those suffering low self-esteem, discouragement, depression, despair, other emotional/mental health issues; those struggling with family relationships; young people returning to school, looking for jobs, dealing with the many temptations confronting young adults
• Those who are traveling
• Our residence-bound members: Murray Leonardson, Mike Rivera
• God’s blessing on those recently engaged/married, expecting babies, new/first-time parents: Nicole, expecting her first child; Gary and Sarah (Hubel) March, Andrew & Melissa (Call) Welcome, recently married; new parents Kate (Little) and Chris Stevens (Baby Vivian Elise), Nate & Kristin Meldrim (Baby Lily), Terry (Baby David Matthew), Tim Schneider & Morgan (baby boy, born in January), Tiffany
• Our military men and women – especially Will Ryan, recently deployed to Afghanistan, Matt Plescia, Carrington Hessell, Spencer Moore, and Jay Rippel - that they may know God’s presence and protection
• Families and friends of our military troops - that they may be blessed with God’s peace and reassurance, especially Will’s family; Matt’s wife, Angie, and daughter, Haleigh; Carrington’s mother, Gloria, and family; the Moores; Jay’s wife, Beth Anne, & their two daughters; and victims of warfare & violence worldwide
• The power of the peace & love of Christ to subdue everywhere the spirits of hatred, hostility, unforgiveness, cruelty, vengeance, and warfare
Regular reports are needed on the progress or condition of all individuals on our prayer and praise lists. If you have updated information, especially regarding individuals whose names appear in bold print, please call the church office.
Remember To Thank & Praise God for
• All who serve KRC Ministries by meeting regularly, setting goals, preparing recommendations, & working together to complete Ministry projects and responsibilities
• His blessing of a wonderful, caring, Spirit-filled pastor of vision such as Pastor Rudy, and for steady healing and improvement in Pastor’s injured elbow
• Signs that Jack Taylor is beginning to respond to treatment
• Successful surgery and negative test results for Patrice Lyons
• His hand of protection on Gary March, who suffered no injuries in a very serious accident recently that totaled his car
• The blessing of the outreach events of his past weekend – the Dave Ramsey EntreLeadership simulcast and the organ/choral concert; many thanks to all who so generously contributed their time, energy, and resources to make these events successful
• Jean Skipper’s very successful and happy transition to her new home and life near her daughter in New York City
• The wonderful care and great support of hospice nurses and volunteers
• The Valatie Ecumenical Food Pantry’s ongoing service to our community; during the month of August, the Pantry served 81 families, including 179 adults and 116 children
• The wonderful ways God shows his love to us, especially during difficult times
• Those men and women who have served or are now serving our country, & those who have sacrificed their well-being and lives for the peace & liberties we enjoy
~A STANDING INVITATION FROM COMMUNITY PRAYER GROUP~
KRC’s Community Prayer Group invites you to join us at 9 a.m. Tuesday mornings in the conference room kitty-corner from the church office. If you prefer not to pray aloud, we are delighted to have you join in prayer with us silently. We have a scripture, and pray for the pastor, consistory, our ministries, Sunday School, our youth, and illness and troubles in our families, church, and the world. We use unspoken requests to unload the cries of our hearts on the One who can do all things and do them well.
We are putting together CARE packages for Jay Rippel and his fellow soldiers serving near the Afghanistan/Pakistan border, and the following is a list of needs for their kitchen: Hellmann's Mayo (plastic jar, please), honey, oatmeal, raisins, brown sugar, grated parmesan cheese, stick salami and pepperoni, Sweet Baby Ray's Barbeque Sauce, low fat / low sodium chicken broth, Uncle Ben’s Microwave Rice Packs, trail mix, nuts, and dried fruit. THIS SAME LIST APPEARS ON A SIGN-UP SHEET ON THE BACK TABLE. PLEASE SIGN UP IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PROVIDE SOME OF THESE CARE PACKAGE ITEMS, bring your donation to the church, and put it in the special container marked for this purpose
KRC OFFICE, EMAIL,WEBSITE, AND FAX INFORMATION
Email Address – email@example.com
Website Address – kinderhookreformedchurch.com
Rev. Rudy is scheduled to be in his church office
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings.
If you wish to meet with Pastor during these times,
please call ahead for an appointment.
Evenings have been set aside for meetings, pastoral visitations, and counseling.
For assistance on Fridays, please call 758-9703 or 859-4158
Church Phone 758-6401 Church Fax 758-6402
Phone messages are picked up several times daily.
If you need immediate assistance anytime, please call 859-4158.
- PLEASE NOTE ON THE BACK TABLE OF THE SANCTUARY -
• Upcoming Camp Fowler retreats, “getaways”, summer camp, & other events
• Synod-sponsored local workshops, learning opportunities, retreats
• Spiritual conference opportunities – information and registration forms
• Words of Hope, & other devotional booklets – Please take for use at home.
• Young Life, Compassion, Service, GO, TWR, Words of Hope - latest world
missions’ magazine issues / updates
• Missions updates from RCA and KRC-supported missionaries
• Recent RCA magazine copies
• RCA’s Stewardship and Building and Extension Fund reports and
investment opportunity brochures
• Volunteer opportunities through RCA
• Regional Synod of Albany’s latest newsletter, Close to Home
• KRC’s latest newsletter, The Epistle
• KRC congregational information, material, packets
• Personal greetings cards, “thank-you” notes, and letters
• Fresh flower donation, ministry volunteer, and other sign-up sheets
• KRC Library booklist
• Shepherd’s Guide, Christian Yellow Pages & Capital Region church directory
• Public service information and opportunities
KRC 2010-2011 CONSISTORY
Pastor Rev. Rudy Visser, President of Consistory, Classis Delegate
Jane Deane, Missions, Assistant Treasurer – ’10 758-7051
Patrice Lyons, Stewardship, Pastoral Relations – ’10 758-8400
Loren Speer, Property – ’11 784-2901
Dawn Tuttle, Church Family, Clerk of Consistory – ’11 758-6031
Arnie March, Personnel, Pastoral Relations – ’10 758-6066
Ann VanBuren, Vice President of Consistory, Cemetery, Worship,
Classis Delegate – ’11 758-9703
Dawn VanBuren, Evangelism – ’11 758-7564
Patti Varga, Christian Education – ‘10 758-1266
KRC Treasurer KRC Secretary
Barbara Vosburgh – 758-6512 Paul Clause – 859-4158
Cemetery Supervisor/KRC Sexton
Greg Clause – 369-8472, 758-1338
If you become aware of a housekeeping item that is being overlooked and needs to be addressed, kindly bring this to Greg’s attention by leaving a note in his church mailbox or on the clipboard on the folding doors in the downstairs hallway.
Today, November 7 Deadline for 2011 Consistory Nomination Ballots
10:00 am Communion Worship and Sunday School
11:15 am Adult Bible Study, main floor conference room
New Members’ Class, Pastor’s Study
Fall Food Pantry Drive continues through next Sunday
Mon., November 8 6:30 pm Consistory meets
Tue., November 9
9:00 am Community Prayer Group meets @KRC
7:00 - 8:30 pm KRC Youth Group meets
Thur.,November 11 2 pm – Deadline, November Angel Food Orders
6:30 pm ZUMBA fitness group each Thursday, KRC Fellowship Room Sat., November 13 9 am to 3 pm “Setting Sail Again”
Leadership revitalization program, KRC Sanctuary
Sun., November 14 2 to 6 pm Natural Church Development Retreat
Deadline for Church Family Vegetable Beef Soup orders
Fall Food Drive for Food Pantry Ends
Fri., November 19 9:30 am Church Family Ministry meets to make soup
Sat., November 20 11:30 am – 12:30 pm Angel Food Distribution
KRC Fellowship Room
Sun., November 21 11:15 am Last New Members’ Class
Soup Orders Delivered – KRC Fellowship Room following Worship
Sun., December 5 Confirmation of New Members during Worship
Fri., December 10 6 - 8:30 pm Candlelight Night KRC Open House
Servers Next Sunday, November 14, 2010
Ushers: Jim Baker, Bob Dreier, John Schubert, Loren Speer
Greeter(s): Allen and Joan Van Alstyne
Nursery Sara Schubert