Kinderhook Reformed Church Worship Service
October 3, 2010, 10:00 A.M.
Route 9 and Church Street, Kinderhook, NY
“To Know Christ and to Make Him Known”
Rev. Rudy Visser, Pastor
A WARM WELCOME TO VISITORS
You are invited to sign our Guest Book at the church entrance and to fill out a pew card and place it in the offering plate. We would like to get to know you better, and invite you to enjoy fellowship and refreshments with us downstairs in the Fellowship Room immediately following Worship.
A Prayer Partner can be available to pray with you if you so desire.
Ushers: Chuck Rothermel, Bill Schneider, Gordie VanBuren, Paul Zietsman
Greeter(s): John and Isabelle Bosquet-Morra
Preschool Nursery is available downstairs, Suzy Nieman supervising.
Flowers given today by Susan Patterson in memory of her father, Ed Schurick.
Order of Worship
WELCOME, SILENT PRAYER, & PREPARATION FOR WORSHIP
VOTUM and GOD’S GREETING
God’s Children’s Approach
CALL TO WORSHIP (Responsive)
Come and worship God
whose gift is eternal life in Christ Jesus, our LORD.
Come and receive the saving grace of Jesus Christ
and become heirs having the hope of eternal life.
Come and prepare to fight without shame the good fight of the faith,
and take hold of the eternal life to which we are called.
Come and sow to please the Spirit
from whom we will reap eternal life.
Come and be made ready as examples
for those who would believe and receive eternal life.
*HYMN #493 I Know Whom I Have Believed
CALL TO CONFESSION – Based on 1 John 1:9
Let us admit openly that we have sinned and done wrong; and God, who is upright and true to his word, will forgive us and make us clean from all evil.
PRAYER OF CONFESSION (Responsive) Based on Psalm 51
Have mercy on us, O God, according to your unfailing love;
according to your great compassion, blot out our transgressions
Surely I was sinful at birth, from the time my mother conceived me.
I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.
Surely you desire truth in the inner parts, wisdom in the inmost place.
Cleanse us, and we will be clean; wash us, and we will be whiter than snow.
Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me
a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to us the joy of your salvation; grant us willing spirits, to sustain us.
ALL: Then we will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will turn back to you.
ASSURANCE OF PARDON Based on Psalm 79:9
The God of our salvation and immortality, for the glory of his name and his kingdom, forgives our sins, takes us out of danger, and renews within us a right spirit of holiness and discipline.
Praise and thanks to the God of our salvation! Amen.
*PRAYER OF BLESSING UPON OUR CHILDREN (Unison)
Lord Jesus, may our children always acknowledge you as the Son of the Most High God, and may they experience the power and direction of your Spirit within them. May they be your light in this world, testifying without shame to your truth, and attracting many to the good news of your gifts of salvation and eternal life. Amen.
Sunday School students are now invited to join their teachers.
God’s Opened Word
SCRIPTURE LESSON 2 Timothy, 1:1-14
MESSAGE “Modeling Kingdom Living”
PRAYER OF THANKS
God’s Children Celebrating Him
SACRAMENT OF COMMUNION (Insert)
PRESENTATION OF OUR TITHES and OFFERINGS/OFFERTORY
*DOXOLOGY and OFFERTORY PRAYER (Unison)
Gracious God, we are awed by the love you have shown to us through the priceless gift of your only Son, Jesus. You do not demand anything in return; instead, you invite us to commit our lives wholly and willingly to you and to imitate your example by giving freely with loving and generous hearts. Bless these tokens of our devotion and gratitude, and use them to spread throughout the world the promise of eternal life through the resurrected Christ. In His name and for His sake we pray. Amen.
ANNOUNCEMENTS CONCERNING THE FAMILY OF GOD
*HYMN #668 Am I a Soldier of the Cross?
*BENEDICTION and BLESSING
*BENEDICTION RESPONSE My Friends, May You Grow in Grace
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen.
There will be a fellowship hour with coffee, juice, and a light snack following church each Sunday. If you would be willing to help with this ministry one Sunday, please sign up on the sheet on the back table in the sanctuary. If you are not able to serve on a Sunday, but would still like to help out, you may bring apple juice or packaged cookies.
Today is Communion Sunday, which has been designated for the presentation of gifts, over and above regular giving, to the Benevolent Fund. Please support this important ministry which provides assistance to needy church family & community members.
Volunteers are badly needed to staff the Nursery during Worship.
If you are willing to serve occasionally in this ministry,
please sign the sheet available on the back table.
Church Family Ministry is sponsoring a Soup Sale featuring The Red Lion Inn’s hearty "Autumn Butternut Bisque" recipe. Prices are $4.00 a pint and $8.00 a quart. Soup must be pre-ordered, and orders must be placed by SUNDAY, OCTOBER 10. Please find the manila envelope in the foyer with an ordering sheet attached. Enter your ordering information on the sheet, and place your check (made out to “KRC” with “Church Family Soup” on the memo line), in the envelope. Your soup order will be delivered to you on OCTOBER 17.
Capital City Rescue Mission cordially invites you to attend its Annual Benefit Banquet and Silent Auction – “GIVING HOPE!” - Wednesday or Thursday, October 20 or 21, at Michael’s Banquet House, 1019 Route 9 North, Latham. Silent Auction begins at 5 p.m., dinner at 6:30, each evening. KRC has traditionally been well-represented at this inspiring event, the proceeds of which will benefit homeless and needy individuals assisted by CCRM’s programs. Choose the evening you would like to attend; pick up a flyer from the back table, or call 462-0421 to make banquet reservations; and send $17 per ticket reserved to Capital City Rescue Mission Banquet, P.O. Box 1999, Albany, NY 12201. RESERVATIONS SHOULD BE MADE NO LATER THAN MONDAY, OCTOBER 11.
THE RETIREMENT CELEBRATION BRUNCH FOR GEORGE CLOWE, KRC’S FAITHFUL ORGANIST FOR OVER 30 YEARS, HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR OCTOBER 24 IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING WORSHIP. ALL ARE INVITED TO ATTEND THIS EVENT AND TO TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY TO HONOR GEORGE WITH PERSONAL WORDS OF THANKS AND APPRECIATION. VOLUNTEERS ARE NEEDED TO PROVIDE FOOD ITEMS FOR THE BRUNCH MENU, AND A SIGN-UP SHEET IS ON THE BACK TABLE.
JAY RIPPEL WRITES
Dear KRC Family and Friends,
For anyone thinking of putting together a care package, here is a list of needs for our kitchen from some of my soldiers: Hellmann's Mayo (plastic jar, please), honey, oatmeal, raisins, brown sugar, grated parmesan cheese, stick salami and pepperoni, Sweet Baby Ray's Barbeque Sauce, low fat / low sodium chicken broth, Uncle Ben’s Microwave Rice Packs, trail mix, nuts, and dried fruit. Many thanks, Jay
Care package prep and mailing information is available on the back table.
Remember To Thank & Praise God for
• All who serve KRC Ministries by meeting regularly, setting goals, preparing recommendations, & working together to complete Ministry projects & responsibilities
• His blessing of a wonderful, caring, Spirit-filled pastor of vision such as Pastor Rudy, and for steady healing and improvement in Pastor’s broken elbow
• Rev. Ron Stockhoff’s successful back surgery and speedy recovery – Ron thanks everyone for their prayer support
• Blance Rogers’s return home from rehab, and her ability to maneuver around her home; Blanche is Diane Morgan’s mom, and both thank you for your prayer support
• The good news that the Schuberts are safely home from an “amazing” road trip to Oregon and back worshiping with us
• The outreach opportunities provided by our recent tag, bake, and hot dog sales, and for all who provided time, energy, and donations for the success of these events – nearly $900 was received in donations and bake sales, all of which will go to KRC’s church restoration fund
• The Valatie Ecumenical Food Pantry’s ongoing service to our community, and for both Dolly Petith and Maureen Mooney, who represent KRC so faithfully in this ministry. During the month of August, the Pantry served 81 families, including 179 adults and 116 children
• The wonderful ways God shows his love to us, especially during difficult times
Remember to Pray for
• Those whose families and friends are praying for their salvation or other spiritual needs
• KRC’s Consistory members and administrative ministries
• New KRC programs & projects and those implementing and administering them: upcoming EntreLeadership simulcast; Natural Church Development; Angel Food; church restoration; KRC organ/choral concert; other KRC Ministry projects
• Leaders of KRC’s Sunday School, Youth Group, Adult Bible Study, and Prayer Group as they administer programs over the next several months; and for those attending these programs
• Our state and national leaders, that God will grant them the leadership skills, wisdom, and personal safety needed to govern effectively
• Our missionaries; children sponsored through Compassion or other agencies
• Those, especially children, suffering abuses of war, exploitation, neglect, family violence, natural disaster
• Families and friends grieving the loss of loved ones
• Please pray for Kris Morgan, who will be having back surgery this coming Tuesday
• Elizabeth Proper, John Dean’s aunt, recovering from recent open heart surgery to repair a heart valve
• Those dealing with cancer: Joe, now in hospice care; Marlys Haughie; Kara Ennis Mobley; Lillian Roginski; Dawn Meyers; Melanie; Ed B.; Rylyn Swierzewski
• Others awaiting test results or surgery; recovering from surgery, injury, or illness; chronically ill, or in hospice care: Russell, nephew of Ruth Edge; Bella Tarbox; Holly; Ron Stockhoff; Al Van Alstyne, Ann Van Buren; Pastor Rudy; Blanche Rogers; Tom Saulpaugh; the Afghans recently treated by Tom Little and his medical team; Emese; Libby Little; Merrill & Erika Johnson; Priscilla Frisbee; George Clowe; Beth Ryan; Kathy Schneider’s father in Barnwell; Paul Varga; Earl Ennis
• Those caring for the elderly, displaced, disabled, or ill, especially Diane Morgan
• Those facing challenges, conflicts, difficult decisions: challenges facing local RCA and other churches consolidating or considering closing their doors permanently; Jean Skipper, the Riveras, the Vargas; caregivers of children with health or developmental issues; those facing employment/economic troubles, especially Cliff; those struggling with substance abuse, especially Greg L., Martin, & Andy; those suffering low self-esteem, discouragement, depression, despair, other emotional/mental health issues; those struggling with family relationships; young people returning to school, looking for jobs, dealing with the many temptations confronting young adults
• Those who are traveling, especially Judy
• Our residence-bound members: Murray Leonardson, Mike Rivera
• God’s blessing on those recently engaged/married, expecting babies, new/first-time parents: Nicole, expecting her first child; Gary and Sarah (Hubel) March, Andrew & Melissa (Call) Welcome, recently married; new parents Kate (Little) and Chris Stevens (Baby Vivian Elise), Nate & Kristin Meldrim (Baby Lily), Terry (Baby David Matthew), Tim Schneider & Morgan (baby boy, born in January), Tiffany
• Our military men and women – especially Matt Plescia, Carrington Hessell, Spencer Moore, and Jay Rippel - that they may know God’s presence and protection
• Families and friends of our military troops - that they may be blessed with God’s peace and reassurance, especially Matt’s wife, Angie, and daughter, Haleigh; Carrington’s mother, Gloria, and family; the Moores; and Jay’s wife, Beth Anne, & their two daughters; victims of warfare & violence worldwide
• The power of the peace & love of Christ to subdue everywhere the spirits of hatred, hostility, unforgiveness, cruelty, vengeance, and warfare
• Those men and women who have served or are now serving our country, & those who have sacrificed their well-being and lives for the peace & liberties we enjoy.
~A STANDING INVITATION FROM COMMUNITY PRAYER GROUP~
KRC’s Community Prayer Group invites you to join us at 9 a.m. Tuesday mornings in the conference room kitty-corner from the church office. If you prefer not to pray aloud, we are delighted to have you join in prayer with us silently. We have a scripture, and pray for the pastor, consistory, our ministries, Sunday School, our youth, and illness and troubles in our families, church, and the world. We use unspoken requests to unload the cries of our hearts on the One who can do all things and do them well.
Youth Group has started, and all KRC youth and their friends, Grades 6 and up, are invited to attend this coming Tuesday, October 5, 7 – 8:30 p.m.
Tom Little joined Kinderhook Reformed Church in 1963 at age 14, and remained a member until 1985. Next Sunday, October 10, our church family will be memorializing Tom’s 33-year labor of love for his Lord and for the people of Afghanistan. A plaque in honor of his unswerving devotion will be installed near the plaque and display case memorializing Cornelius Van Alen Van Dyck, whose life and work as a physician/Bible translator/missionary from Kinderhook Reformed Church to the Middle East greatly inspired Tom as a young man. Donations will be gratefully accepted to help cover the expense (around $500) of honoring Tom in this way. Check memo lines or envelopes containing cash should be clearly designated “Tom Little Plaque”.
~TOM LITTLE MEMORIAL FUND~
Interserve has established the Tom Little Memorial Fund to assist those specifically called to serve in Afghanistan - 8 adults are ready to go and are looking for prayer and financial support. If you would like to contribute, please make checks payable to Kinderhook Reformed Church clearly marked “Tom Little Fund”. Your gift will be included in your personal KRC contribution record, and will be forwarded to Interserve. Interserve is also accepting donations on behalf of Libby Little to assist her in meeting the unexpected personal expenses incurred in the aftermath of Tom’s sudden death. Gifts to Libby may be made by check payable to Kinderhook Reformed Church clearly marked “Libby Little,” and will be forwarded to Interserve. Personal gifts to Libby will appear in your KRC contribution record, but are NOT tax-deductible.
Kinderhook Reformed Church is pleased to announce it will be hosting Dave Ramsey's live simulcast seminar, "EntreLeadership", on Friday, November 5th, 2010, 9:00 am to 3:30 pm. Learn how Dave Ramsey trains his team for success to implement in your life, business, leadership role, or ministry. The event cost is $40.00 per person, which includes a workbook. Lunch will be provided for an additional $5.00 per person. Registration deadline is Friday, October 1, 2010. For registration, please contact KRC at (518)758-6401. For more information, please contact Lori Kolb-Speer.
Please mark Saturday, November 6, on your calendar and plan to attend the organ & choral concert to be presented here in our sanctuary at 4:30 p.m. Watch for more information to come in future bulletins!
ANGEL FOOD MENUS & ORDERING INFORMATION FOR THE MONTH OF OCTOBER ARE NOW AVAILABLE ON THE BACK TABLE. NOTE: ORDERING DEADLINE IS TUESDAY, OCT. 19. FOOD DISTRIBUTION IS AT KRC SATURDAY, OCT. 23, 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM.
A SINCERE THANK-YOU TO THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY OFFERED THEIR INDIVIDUAL SHARE OF THIS SUPPORT. If you have not yet supported this effort, and are able to do so over and above your regular giving, you may place your share ($75 per active member) in the offering plate, clearly designated for this purpose, or you may give it in as many increments as you wish over the remaining weeks or months of this year.
KRC OFFICE, EMAIL,WEBSITE, AND FAX INFORMATION
Email Address – email@example.com
Website Address – kinderhookreformedchurch.com
Rev. Rudy is scheduled to be in his church office
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings.
If you wish to meet with Pastor during these times,
please call ahead for an appointment.
Evenings have been set aside for meetings, pastoral visitations, and counseling.
For assistance on Fridays, please call 758-9703 or 859-4158
Church Phone 758-6401 Church Fax 758-6402
Phone messages are picked up several times daily.
If you need immediate assistance anytime, please call 859-4158.
KRC 2010-2011 CONSISTORY
Pastor Rev. Rudy Visser, President of Consistory, Classis Delegate
Jane Deane, Missions, Assistant Treasurer – ’10 758-7051
Patrice Lyons, Stewardship, Pastoral Relations – ’10 758-8400
Loren Speer, Property – ’11 784-2901
Dawn Tuttle, Church Family, Clerk of Consistory – ’11 758-6031
Arnie March, Personnel, Pastoral Relations – ’10 758-6066
Ann VanBuren, Vice President of Consistory, Cemetery, Worship,
Classis Delegate – ’11 758-9703
Dawn VanBuren, Evangelism – ’11 758-7564
Patti Varga, Christian Education – ‘10 758-1266
KRC Treasurer KRC Secretary
Barbara Vosburgh – 758-6512 Paul Clause – 859-4158
Cemetery Supervisor/KRC Sexton
Greg Clause – 369-8472, 758-1338
Today, October 3
10:00 am Communion Worship and Sunday School
11:00 am Fellowship and refreshments, KRC Fellowship Room
11:15 am Adult Bible Study, main floor conference room Mon., October 4
6:30 pm Missions Ministry meets
7:00 pm Elders meet
Tue., October 5
9:00 am Community Prayer Group meets @KRC
7:00 - 8:30 pm KRC Youth Group meets
Thur., October 7 - 6:30 pm ZUMBA fitness group meets every Thursday,
KRC Fellowship Room – See flyers on the back table
Sat., October 9 - KRC men barbeque burgers and hot dogs
Village Square, Kinderhook Fall Festival
10:00 am Last day for KRC guided tours
1:00 pm Tom Little memorial service,
Loudonville Community Church
Sun., October 10
10:00 am Worship, Tom Little memorial, and Sunday School
11:00 am Luncheon for Little family & friends, KRC Fellowship Room
Deadline for Church Family soup orders
Mon., October 11 - 6:30 pm Consistory meets
Thur., October 14 - 7:00 pm Natural Church Development
Sun., October 17
10:00 am Worship and Sunday School
11:00 am Fellowship and refreshments, KRC Fellowship Room
11:15 am Adult Bible Study, main floor conference room
Church Family soup order delivery
Tue., October 19 - Angel Food Orders Deadline
Wed., Thur., October 20 &21 CCRM Benefit Banquet & Silent Auction
5 pm, Michael’s Banquet House, Latham
Sat., October 23 - 11:30 am – 12:30 pm Angel Food Distribution
Sun., October 24 - George Clowe Retirement Celebration Brunch
Following Worship, KRC Fellowship Room
Mon., October 25 - 6:30 pm Consistory meets
Fri., November 5 - 9 am – 3:30 pm Dave Ramsey’s live simulcast
seminar, “EntreLeadership”, KRC Sanctuary
Sat., November 6 - 4:30 pm Organ/choral concert, KRC Sanctuary
Servers Next Sunday, October 10, 2010
Ushers: Dave Ennis, Will Ferguson, Bob and Josh Horn
Greeter(s): Dave and Beth Ennis
Nursery: (Over, please.)