Kinderhook Reformed Church Worship Service
August 29, 2010, 9:30 A.M.
Route 9 and Church Street, Kinderhook, NY
“To Know Christ and to Make Him Known”
Rev. Rudy Visser, Pastor
A WARM WELCOME TO VISITORS
You are invited to sign our Guest Book at the church entrance and to fill out a pew card and place it in the offering plate. We would like to get to know you better, and we invite you to fellowship with us and enjoy refreshments served by Maureen Mooney at our Lemonade Stand on the front lawn of the church following today’s Worship Service.
A Prayer Partner can be available to pray with you if you so desire.
Ushers: Derrick Latorre, Bob Laffety, Steve Shpur, Bob Wildermuth
Greeter(s): Barbara Vosburgh
Preschool Nursery available downstairs, Elize Visser supervising.
Flowers today are from the garden of Barbara Vosburgh.
Order of Worship
WELCOME, SILENT PRAYER, & PREPARATION FOR WORSHIP
VOTUM and GOD’S GREETING
God’s Children’s Approach
CALL TO WORSHIP (Responsive) Based on 1 Samuel 2
There is no Holy One like the Lord,
no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God.
You clothe those who stumble with strength.
The Lord raises up the poor from the dust;
he lifts the needy from the ashes,
For the pillars of the earth are the Lord’s.
He establishes for His children a seat with princes
and gives them a seat of honor.
There is no Holy One like the Lord,
no one besides you, for you are my Rock and my Salvation.
*HYMN OF PRAISE #594 Like a River Glorious
CALL TO CONFESSION Based on Psalm 32
The psalmist says, “I acknowledged my sin to you, and I did not hide my iniquity; I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,’ and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you.” With repentant hearts, let us faithfully offer our transgressions up to God.
PRAYER OF CONFESSION (Unison) Based on Psalm 106
We have wasted away in our transgressions and sins. Restore to us the joy of your salvation and grant us willing spirits, to sustain us. Teach us again your ways, and we will turn back to you. Take the desert ruins of our sinful lives and make us fruitful servants in your kingdom.
[Silent Prayer of Confession]
Save us, and we will sing of your righteousness!
Open our lips, and our mouths will declare your praise! Amen.
ASSURANCE OF PARDON Based on Psalm 85
You forgive the iniquity of your people, and cover all their sins. You have put aside your wrath and turned from your fierce anger. You have shown us your unfailing love, O Lord, and have granted us your salvation. You have revived us again that we may rejoice in you. Alleluia! Amen.
*PRAYER OF BLESSING UPON OUR CHILDREN (Unison)
Father, fill these children with your Holy Spirit, we pray. Teach them to know and to exercise their spiritual gifts, and enable them to bear all the good fruit of your Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. (1 Corinthians 12; Galatians 5)
Children age 4 – Grade 4 are invited to attend Children & Worship.
God’s Opened Word
PRAYER FOR ILLUMINATION
SCRIPTURE LESSON Isaiah 5:1-7
MESSAGE Bearing No Fruit Is Better than Bearing Rotten Fruit!
PRAYER OF BLESSING
God’s Children Celebrating Him
PRESENTATION OF OUR TITHES and OFFERINGS/OFFERTORY
*DOXOLOGY and OFFERTORY PRAYER (Unison)
Lord, you have blessed us with the precious dew from heaven above and with the deep waters that lie below; with the best the sun brings forth and the finest the moon can yield; with the choicest gifts of the ancient mountains and the fruitfulness of the everlasting hills; with the best gifts of the earth and its fullness; and with your favor. After your example, freely and with grateful hearts, we bring our offerings, our gifts, and ourselves to be sanctified by you and to be fruitful in your service. Amen.
ANNOUNCEMENTS CONCERNING THE FAMILY OF GOD
PASTORAL PRAYER and THE LORD’S PRAYER
*HYMN #379 For the Fruit of All Creation
*BENEDICTION RESPONSE My Friends, May Your Grow in Grace
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior.
My friends, may you grow in grace, and in the knowledge of Jesus Christ.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen.
To God be the glory, now and forever, now and forever, amen.
AANNUAL KRC PICNICC
Come and enjoy the good food and fellowship at KRC’s Church Family Picnic starting at noon TODAY at the home of Dawn and Ted Tuttle, 332 Merwin Lake Road. DIRECTIONS: Take Route 9-H either south or north to Fischer Road, which meets with 9-H on the north side of the OLD Toyota dealership. Turn onto Fisher Road (left if you are coming from the north, right if you are coming from the south). Drive ½ mile, then bear slightly left at the fork to go onto Merwin Lake Road. Drive 2 tenths of a mile to the Tuttles’ home on the left. FOOD ITEMS ARE STILL NEEDED. PLEASE INDICATE YOUR CONTRIBUTION ON THE SHEET AT THE BACK TABLE.
STARTING SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, YOUTH SUNDAY SCHOOL AND MORNING WORSHIP WILL BEGIN TOGETHER AT 10 A.M. IN THE SANCTUARY. THE SUNDAY SCHOOL STUDENTS WILL BE DISMISSED TO THEIR SUNDAY SCHOOL TEACHERS LATER IN THE WORSHIP SERVICE AT ABOUT THE SAME TIME THE “CHILDREN AND WORSHIP” PROGRAM WOULD HAVE BEGUN.
ANGEL FOOD MENUS & ORDERING INFORMATION FOR THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER ARE NOW AVAILABLE ON THE BACK TABLE. NOTE: ORDERING DEADLINE IS TUESDAY, SEPT. 14. FOOD DISTRIBUTION IS AT KRC SATURDAY, SEPT. 18, 11 AM – 12 N00N.
TOM LITTLE MEMORIAL FUND
Message from Doug Van Bronkhorst, Executive Director, Interserve
Tom Little didn’t go to Afghanistan thirty-three years ago - or to that last remote place he traveled to several weeks ago - to preach his faith. He went to live it out, with sacrificial love and service. That kind of faith is attractive. It is powerful. It changes lives. It is also threatening to those who selfishly use religion to control others, or who have a misguided need to control what others believe. What Afghanistan needs now, more than ever, is more Tom Littles. Many have expressed a desire to do something to recognize and honor his work. The best way is to pray for others who will take up the challenge to serve in the hard places, and help them on their way. Since Tom’s heart was with the Afghan people, we are establishing a “Tom Little Memorial Fund” to be used to help those specifically called to serve in Afghanistan. As it happens, in God’s plan there are eight adults already in the pipeline, looking for prayer and financial support to do just that. We pray for more to follow. Obviously, there will be some hard thinking regarding a wise and prudent response to the tragic deaths of Tom and his 9 team members, but our long-term commitment remains the same - to send and support Christian professionals like Tom Little for long-term service in places of desperate physical and spiritual need. Tom would not like his name mentioned so prominently in this way, but he would approve of others being helped to take up his work and carry it forward.
Thank you, Doug Van Bronkhorst
If you would like to give to the Tom Little Memorial Fund, please make checks payable to Kinderhook Reformed Church clearly marked “Tom Little Fund”. Your gift will be included in your personal KRC contribution record, and will be forwarded to Interserve. Interserve is also accepting donations on behalf of Libby Little to assist her in meeting the unexpected personal expenses incurred in the aftermath of Tom’s sudden death. Gifts to Libby may be made by check payable to Kinderhook Reformed Church clearly marked “Libby Little,” and will be forwarded to Interserve. Personal gifts to Libby are not tax-deductible and will not appear in your KRC contribution record.
Join this women’s global conversation focused on
On October 2, 2010, Stonecroft Ministries will address these questions and more during Impact '10 ~ Stir, an extraordinary FREE online women’s gathering of global proportions. Regardless of your time zone, this 4-hour web streaming evangelism event - broadcast LIVE from Kansas City, Missouri – will be available just about anywhere on the planet—from Nigeria to Niagara Falls.
Kinderhook Reformed Church is one of hundreds of global host sites. Watch for more information in upcoming bulletins, and plan to join us. Together we will discover how God is moving, stirring, and how you can become involved in making Christ known in our communities.
Kinderhook Reformed Church is pleased to announce it will be hosting Dave Ramsey's live simulcast "EntreLeadership" seminar on Friday, November 5th, 2010, 9:00 am to 3:30 pm. Learn how Dave Ramsey trains his team for success to implement in your life, business, leadership roll, or ministry. The event cost is $40.00 per person, which includes a workbook. Lunch will be provided for an additional $5.00 per person. Registration deadline is Friday, October 1, 2010. For registration, please contact KRC at (518)758-6401. For more information please contact Lori Kolb-Speer, Chairperson of this event.
Praise God for the Valatie Ecumenical Food Pantry’s ongoing service to our community, and for both Dolly Petith and Maureen Mooney, who represent KRC so faithfully in this ministry. During the month of July, the Pantry served 69 families, including 147 adults and 97 children.
~ REMINDER FROM WORSHIP & NEW VISITORS MINISTRIES ~
Writing materials are available on the back table for use by children during the Worship service. Please see that your children use these rather than the pew cards for their writing needs. Many of the printed visitors’ cards, which are expensive to replace, are being written on, bent, or torn, and your help in preventing this misuse is appreciated.
KRC OFFICE, EMAIL,WEBSITE, AND FAX INFORMATION
Email Address – firstname.lastname@example.org
Website Address – kinderhookreformedchurch.com
Rev. Rudy is scheduled to be in his church office
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings.
If you wish to meet with Pastor during these times,
please call ahead for an appointment.
Evenings have been set aside for meetings, pastoral visitations, and counseling.
For assistance on Mondays, please call 758-9703 or 859-4158
Church Phone 758-6401 Church Fax 758-6402
Phone messages are picked up several times daily.
If you need immediate assistance anytime, please call 859-4158.
Remember To Thank & Praise God for
• All who serve KRC Ministries by meeting regularly, setting goals, preparing recommendations, & working together to complete Ministry projects & responsibilities
• His blessing of a wonderful, caring, Spirit-filled pastor of vision such as Pastor Rudy
• The success of the VBS program, and for the hard work and dedication of all those who planned and helped administer this valuable outreach; average daily attendance was
• Successful rehab placement for Diane Morgan’s mom, and for the progress her mom has made in being able to walk again
• Successful surgery for Pastor Rudy, his ability to manage his pain, his steady improvement, and for his presence in the pulpit today
• The good report that tests for Holly, daughter of Paul and Joan Clause, returned normal
• The good news that Brad Warren is out of the hospital and recovering at home
• Bob Rafferty’s sufficient recovery from pneumonia to be able to return to work
• The wonderful ways God shows his love to us, especially during difficult times
~ A STANDING INVITATION FROM COMMUNITY PRAYER GROUP~~
KRC’s Community Prayer Group invites you to join us at 9 a.m. Tuesday mornings in the conference room kitty-corner from the church office. If you prefer not to pray aloud, we are delighted to have you join in prayer with us silently. We have a scripture, and pray for the pastor, consistory, our ministries, Sunday School, our youth, and illness and troubles in our families, church, and the world. We use unspoken requests to unload the cries of our hearts on the One who can do all things and do them well.
Remember to Pray for
• Those whose families and friends are praying for their salvation or other spiritual needs
• KRC’s Consistory members and administrative ministries
• New KRC programs & projects and those implementing and administering them: Financial Peace University Course; Natural Church Development; Angel Food; roof replacement; church restoration
• KRC’s VBS volunteers, Sunday School staff, and youth leaders as they plan & administer programs this summer and for the fall season
• Our state and national leaders, that God will grant them the leadership skills, wisdom, and personal safety needed to govern effectively
• Our missionaries; children sponsored through Compassion or other agencies
• Those, especially children, suffering abuses of war, exploitation, neglect, family violence, natural disaster
• Families and friends grieving the loss of loved ones
• Spencer Moore, recovering from a fall that injured his hand and required stitches to his head
• Quick healing for Pastor Rudy, recovering from recent surgery this past Friday to repair a crushed radial bone; pray for sufficient healing to take place within the next several days so that his cast can be exchanged for a brace
• Russell, young nephew of Ruth Edge, recovering from the most recent of several brain surgeries, this one performed to treat an infection
• Elfie, sister-in-law of Jane Deane, and Vicki Dick, both recovering from knee surgery
• Those dealing with cancer: Marlys Haughie; Kara Ennis Mobley; Lillian Roginski; Dawn Meyers; Melanie; Ed B.; Rylyn Swierzewski
• Others awaiting test results or surgery; recovering from surgery, injury, or illness; chronically ill, or in hospice care: Noreen Maine; Chrissey; Betty Barmen; Elfie; Vicki Dick; Blanche Rogers; Tom Saulpaugh; Brad Warren; Bella Tarbox; the Afghans recently treated by Tom Little and his medical team; Bob Rafferty; Holly; Emese; Libby Little; Merrill & Erika Johnson; Priscilla Frisbee; George Clowe; Beth Ryan; Ann VanBuren; Kathy Schneider’s father in Barnwell; Paul Varga
• Those caring for the elderly, displaced, disabled, or ill
• Those facing challenges, conflicts, difficult decisions: challenges facing Earl Ennis, just entering a nursing home, and Diane Morgan, Jean Skipper, Nicole, the Riveras, the Vargas; caregivers of children with health or developmental issues; those facing employment/economic troubles; those struggling with substance abuse, especially Greg L., Martin, & Andy; those suffering low self-esteem, discouragement, depression, despair, other emotional/mental health issues; young people choosing careers, looking for jobs, dealing with the many temptations confronting young adults
• Those who are traveling, especially Connie, Priscilla Frisbee’s daughter, touring Afghanistan for the month of August
• God’s blessing on those recently engaged/married, expecting babies, new/first-time parents: Gary March & Sarah Hubel, recently engaged; Andrew & Melissa (Call) Welcome, recently married; new parents Nate & Kristin Meldrim (Baby Lily), Terry (Baby David Matthew), Tim Schneider & Morgan (baby boy, born in January), Tiffany
• Our residence-bound members: Murray Leonardson, Mike Rivera
• Our Military men and women – especially Carrington Hessell, Spencer Moore, and Jay Rippel - that they may know God’s presence and protection; for those who would like to write or send a care package to Jay, his address is: 1SG Jay Rippel, Salerno Hospital, FOB Salerno, APO AE 09314. Care package info is available on the back table.
• Families and friends of our military troops - that they may be blessed with God’s peace and reassurance, especially Carrington’s mother, Gloria, and family; the Moores; and Jay’s wife, Beth Anne, & their two daughters; victims of warfare & violence worldwide
• The power of the peace & love of Christ to subdue everywhere the spirits of hatred, hostility, unforgiveness, cruelty, vengeance, and warfare
• Those men and women who have served or are now serving our country, & those who have sacrificed their well-being and lives for the peace & liberties we enjoy.
Regular reports are needed on the progress or condition of all individuals on our prayer and praise lists. If you have updated information, especially regarding individuals whose names appear in bold print, please call the church office.
A SINCERE THANK-YOU TO THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY OFFERED THEIR INDIVIDUAL SHARE OF THIS SUPPORT. If you have not yet supported this effort, and are able to do so over and above your regular giving, you may place your share ($75 per active member) in the offering plate, clearly designated for this purpose, or you may give it in as many increments as you wish over the remaining weeks or months of this year.
A hearty “thank-you” to those who have already contributed to help defray the $25,000 expense of completing the much-needed new roof on the Christian Education Wing of our building. As a token of your generosity, please help yourself to a shingle from the “Shingle Tree” on display on the back table of the Sanctuary. KRC’s Property Ministry is still seeking support for this project, and contributions may be dropped in the offering plate clearly designated for this purpose.
KRC has a lot of good cooks, and the Stewardship Ministry is working toward producing a cookbook to share all those good recipes. A cookbook was done years ago, and it is comforting to read the names of those folks who contributed and to remember them once again. Now is your chance to live on in memory for many years to come and to share that good cooking. (Do be careful to be accurate.) Bonnie Dunham will begin collecting and organizing our recipes. Hand them to her personally, e-mail them to email@example.com (Please note correction to Bonnie’s e-mail address – there is no “e” or “i” in it.), or send recipes to 13 Eichybush Road, Kinderhook, N.Y. 12106. My, what good eating we will have!!!
KRC 2010-2011 CONSISTORY
Pastor Rev. Rudy Visser, President of Consistory, Classis Delegate
Jane Deane, Missions, Assistant Treasurer – ’10 758-7051
Patrice Lyons, Stewardship, Pastoral Relations – ’10 758-8400
Loren Speer, Property – ’11 784-2901
Dawn Tuttle, Church Family, Clerk of Consistory – ’11 758-6031
Arnie March, Personnel, Pastoral Relations – ’10 758-6066
Ann VanBuren, Vice President of Consistory, Cemetery, Worship,
Classis Delegate – ’11 758-9703
Dawn VanBuren, Evangelism – ’11 758-7564
Patti Varga, Christian Education – ‘10 758-1266
KRC Treasurer KRC Secretary
Barbara Vosburgh – 758-6512 Paul Clause – 859-4158
Cemetery Supervisor/KRC Sexton
Greg Clause – 369-8472, 758-1338
Today, August 29
9:30 am Worship and Children and Worship
12:00 noon KRC Annual Church Family Picnic @ the Tuttles’
Tues., August 31 - 9:00 am Community Prayer Group meets @KRC
Sat., September 4
Saturdays through October 9, 10 am to Noon,
free guided tours of the KRC Sanctuary
Tue., September 7 - 7:00 pm Missions Ministry meets
Fri. September 10 - 6:30 pm Family Night @ KRC Fellowship Room
Sun., September 12 - 10:00 am Communion Worship and
Opening Day of Sunday School
Mon, September 13 - 6:30 pm Consistory meets
Sat., October 2 - 12:30 – 5:00 pm STIR - Stonecroft Ministries’
global webstream evangelism event for women, KRC Sanctuary
Sat., October 9 - 1:00 pm Tom Little memorial service,
Loudonville Community Church
Fri., November 5 - 9 am – 3:30 pm Dave Ramsey’s
live simulcast “EntreLeadership” seminar, KRC Sanctuary
Servers Next Sunday, September 5, 2010
Ushers: Derrick Latorre, Bob Laffety, Steve Shpur, Bob Wildermuth
Greeter(s): Ted and Nancy Call
Nursery: Lemonade Stand: Dawn VanBuren
Children and Worship: